Total Pageviews

Monday 12 October 2015

The Purge (Franchise)


Synopsis

   Hours before the annual Purge commences, security system salesman James Sandin returns to his home in an affluent Los Angeles suburb to prepare for holding out the night with his wife Mary and their two children, Zoey and Charlie. The family is assured that the security system from James' company, which his house as well as many of the homes in the development are outfitted with, will keep them safe. Zoey sees her boyfriend Henry, an older boy whom James dislikes. James enables the security system, which includes a remote camera monitoring system and metal plating that seals the home. The Purge begins, and the family disperses in their home to go about their normal routine.

 My thoughts

   When The Purge first released into theatres I was more than excited to watch it. The concept itself was original and made so much sense logically that I had to see what it was about. Unfortunately I did not get the chance to see it when it released.

 Even though The Purge got bad reviews, at least from the people I know, I still watched it a few months after it released.

   I have to say that the first time I saw The Purge I thought that those people were wrong but now I understand why they feel that way. After I watched The Purge I thought it was great but when I did my research and read why people hated The Purge, I realized that they had a point. The Purge was centered in a house and was based on a family; it was not about The Purge itself or how a variety of people celebrated it.

   After realizing that, I understood more why people hated The Purge and with watching The Purge a variety of times after the first I myself began to feel the same way too. I will never say that I hate or detest The Purge but I do feel like the plot could have been improved or slightly altered; at least enough to involve some of the history of The Purge or a little more action like having multiple locations (e.g. go from being inside the house to being chased into the backyard).

   The Purge is a recommended horror action movie and if you care for my opinion you will have an open mind and check it out. I also watched The Purge: Anarchy about a week ago and that review will be out right after this. By the way, anyone who hated The Purge for the reasons given above, you will love Anarchy; my thoughts have definitely changed 100%. So, make sure to check out that review after this one.


RATING: 4/5

   

Synopsis


   It is March 21, 2023, hours before the annual Purge event. While television programs credit the Purge for record low unemployment and poverty levels, people across the country are preparing either to commit acts of violence or to barricade themselves indoors against the mayhem. Meanwhile, an anti-Purge resistance group intermittently hacks into television programs to broadcast their own messages that challenge the system.

My Thoughts

   If you have not read my review on The Purge than I suggest you do, so you will know my thoughts.

   The Purge: Anarchy is a complete upgrade from what was seen in the first installment. I assume that James DeMonaco took note to all the criticism The Purge got and wrote something that no one could hate. Every critique that The Purge received either got wiped out or altered in Anarchy; from The Purge being house-oriented and based on a family to Anarchy being city-oriented and based on multiple individuals.

   The Purge: Anarchy is fast-paced, gruesome, and more original than the first; they have upgraded weapons, rebels, high-tech paramilitary men, rich people playing gruesome biding games, and much more. Anarchy is everything for a modern action-horror fan.

   Jason Blum and James DeMonaco did a fantastic job with The Purge: Anarchy so much so that numerous people dressed up like the main, face-painted gang member for Halloween. DeMonaco and Blum have a lot to live up to now, with adding to the franchise and pleasing its huge cult following.

    Now they cannot screw up when creating the third installment which is supposedly coming out in 2015. I am guessing in either June or July because the other two came out around that time. But you never know since it will revolve around the history of The Purge they may release it in March since that is when annual purge actually happens in the movies. Just a thought.

   I 100% highly recommend The Purge: Anarchy; way more than I recommended The Purge. It is a must see for anyone who has not and if you did not like The Purge but loved the concept than Anarchy is what you should watch.


RATING: 5/5

   Don’t let the demons bite or do, YOU FREAKS!!!


2 comments:

  1. There's no question that Anarchy is the stronger film, but I'm sick of all the hate the first movie had. It literally had 1/3 of Anarchy's budget, and there's only so much you can deliver with that.

    Beyond that, I don't think Anarchy would be nearly as enjoyable without the first film to get us hyped up to the concept. It's like they gave us a taste a year in advance, and it made the feast so much sweeter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree... people who hated the first didn't think to realize what the creators were doing. Every installment has to be bigger and better, not like most franchises where the first is great and everything after that sucks.

      Delete