Total Pageviews

Monday 12 October 2015

Silent Hill (Franchise)


“Mother is God in the eyes of a child.”
Synopsis
   Rose and her husband, Christopher Da Silva, are concerned about their adopted daughter, 9-year old Sharon, who has been sleep-walking while calling the name of a town, "Silent Hill". Desperate for answers, Rose takes Sharon to Silent Hill. As they approach the town, she is pursued by police officer Cybil Bennett. A mysterious child appears in the road, causing Rose to swerve and crash the car, knocking herself unconscious. When she awakens, Sharon is missing, while fog and falling ash blanket the town.
My Thoughts
   I have watched Silent Hill numerous amount of times before even thinking of making a blog.  Obviously as I get older my mind will get desensitized to the fear that Silent Hill is hoping to inflict but the truth is, I still get frightened when the siren begins to ring. The siren makes everything all the more frightening. If you thought a monster jumping out of nowhere was scary, imagine hearing an air raid siren and knowing exactly at that moment, dozens of monsters and crawlers will come out to attack. In Silent Hill, the siren represents a lot. It represents the darkness taking over, Alessa’s dreams/the cult’s nightmares, and lastly revenge.
   What I loved most about Silent Hill is the atmosphere. Silent Hill is foggy and first you think it is snow but when you look closer you realize that it is not snow, it is actually ashes. The way that the creator made the shy grey and then transition into pure black as the siren rings is pure genius. Even the way the creators made the walls peel like skin; it makes you cringe and yet you cannot stop watching. I also loved the different point of views that was shown. I got to see the point of view of Rose, Christopher and Alessa.
   I detested the way Officer Cybil acted in the beginning of the movie. She was so ignorant and did not give Rose a chance to explain the situation with her daughter. But I have to admit that I actually did like Officer Cybil and her bravery.
   What I would change about Silent Hill is the film score. I felt as though the sole purpose of the film score was to accompany a certain scene but it actually did the complete opposite.
   One thing I urge you to do if you are planning to watch Silent Hill, remember the name tag Colin. It is a quick scene but also a disturbing one.
 
RATING: 5/5
   Don’t let the demons bite or do, YOU FREAKS!!!


Synopsis

   Sharon Da Silva (Adelaide Clemens) and her adoptive father Christopher (Sean Bean), currently hiding behind aliases of Heather and Harry Mason, have spent the past few years moving from town to town and assuming different identities. Heather believes that they are on the run from the police because Harry killed a man in self-defense and that her adoptive mother Rose (Radha Mitchell) died in a car crash. In fact, Harry has been protecting her from the Order, a cult of Silent Hill, a town haunted by shifting dimensions. Rose was able to free Heather (then Sharon) from one of the alternate dimensions using one half of a talisman called the Seal of Metatron, but Rose remained trapped in Silent Hill.
My Thoughts
   Silent Hill: Revelation is so much better than the first Silent Hill. Yes, the dialog sucked but the monsters are where this movie excelled. The choreography that was created for the monsters were so precise to each individual monster that you cannot help but forget that they are not real and it is just a movie. Even though the nurses in Silent Hill are considered part of the monster clan, the creators did not have a problem with making them sexy which in retrospect made them all the more creepy. I also loved the film score in this installment of Silent Hill; more than the first installment. It tied everything together from the way you are supposed to feel, to the way the monsters are supposed to move.
   One thing that I worried about before watching this movie was the siren. If you have not watched any of the Silent Hill movies or even played the games; there is a siren that is provoked before the town of Silent Hill transitions into its nightmare state or rather that the darkness is coming to take over and no one in its path is safe. The siren was only heard once but at least it was not forgotten.
   If there is anything that I could have changed about Silent Hill: Revelation it would be the storyline. I understand that the movie was about Sharon’s return after the ordeal in the first installment but the storyline was not amazing, I cannot say that it was unbearable but it was no 5 stars either. Silent Hill: Revelation is 100% centered on Sharon and discovering her forgotten past.
   The monsters might have been what I loved the most about Revelation but the monsters that are in the movie make maybe a 2 minute appearance and then vanish. Unlike the first Silent Hill where there were numerous different monsters that actually got adrenaline pumping in your body. I basically had to revel in what little I got to see of them.  
   I know that it may seem as though I did not like this movie but the truth is that I watch this movie all the time. Silent Hill: Revelation was originally a 3D movie and it would be so much better if I watched it that way first. Silent Hill: Revelation is a movie that I will still recommend but I urge you to watch the first installment of Silent hill before jumping into this one.
RATING: 3/5
   Don’t let the demons bite or do, YOU FREAKS!!!



1 comment:

  1. I don't think I've ever read a better review! Wow!

    ReplyDelete